Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A rose by any other name...

Last night while signing a Valentine's Day card for his dad, William informed me that he would now like to just be called "Will." Let me tell you why this breaks my heart and cracks me up at the same time.

1. Everyone had called him "Will" since his birth, everyone but me that is--he's always been William to me. A little over a year ago, he informed anyone who would listen that he wanted to be called "William" and not "Will." When asked why the preference, he said, "Because that's what my Mom calls me." AWWW! I melted! How sweet.

2. I couldn't get his attention one day, so I finally said, "Will!" He shot a look at me that would freeze lava and said, "My name is not Will. 'Will' is a word wall word. I'm William."

3. Then, this Christmas, my MIL had labeled all of his gifts to Will. He pointed it out, on EVERY gift, that "someone wrote Will again, but my name isn't Will, its William." My MIL even went and tried to add the "-iam" to the end of the ones he hadn't gotten to yet. It was hysterical!

Ahh, well, at least its just "Will" this time. 2 weeks ago he wanted me to start calling him "Spikey."

No comments: