Monday, September 17, 2007

Which way is up?

When school ended in the spring, I was convinced that we would all have a nice, relaxing summer, that everything would slow down, we could catch up on all those things we hadn't gotten to yet, we would enjoy the warm weather, and be a little more carefree. What followed seemed the CRAZIEST summer we've ever had. I remember thinking halfway through it all that rather than things slowing down, it was busier than the school year ever was.

So when this new school year was on the horizon, I thought "GREAT!" Things will finally slow down, get back into a routine, and we can sit back and enjoy our quiet evenings together, and catch up on all those things we hadn't gotten to yet (sensing a theme?). Wrong again. We are never home. Most nights, I find myself trying to be in at least 2 places at once. Activities are prioritized so we are constantly having to skip something, leave early from something, or arrive late to something. I feel like this craziness is never going to end. But I also think I might thrive on it. I think Evie does to. She thoroughly enjoys being constantly on the go and stays right on top of everything that needs to be done. It's like a test...can we remember it all AND get it all done in the allotted time? It's like being on a game show--Amazing Race, Home Edition.

I feel sorry for William though. He would so much rather be at home or playing outside. He's probably beginning to think that the only thing we need a home for is homework, bathing, and sleeping. But he handles it like a trooper. Just grabs his new GameBoy and is ready to go.

So yesterday, our only day "off" for basically the entire month of September, we took a day and did...NOTHING! I did a little cleaning (not as much as I should have, but remember, it was our day off :) and got some Stampin' Up stuff taken care of; William played games and watched movies and pretended to be a super hero; Evie did crafty stuff and tormented the cats. It was nice, but now...I regret it. I regret that I didn't get more done while we were at home, I regret that we didn't run some errands that could have gotten out of the way, I regret that we didn't call up family or friends to see if they wanted to visit with us since we never see anyone any more. But the kids don't regret it, so we all must have needed it. It was our night of rest before heading off on our next leg of the Amazing Race. On your marks, get set, go...

No comments: