Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Class of 2008



Actually, she's class of 2020?!?!?!?!

Evie has graduated. From Kindergarten. I feel like this is the last "little kid" thing that she will do. She's always seemed old for her age. 5 going on 15. But now I feel like it's official. She's a big kid. A first grader.
She's already had her first day of school, learned to read, lost her first tooth, had her first crush.

She confidently struts into a building on her own. She no longer needs me there to walk her in, to hold her hand, to show her the way. She's always been fiercely independent, but now I find myself able to ALLOW her to be. I no longer have to say, "I know you can do it yourself, but I'm going to help you out this time." Because truth is, now she CAN do it...whatever "it" is. And I sit back, filled with pride at the young lady she's becoming, filled with sadness at how quickly her childhood is passing.

But at the end of the night, no matter how grown-up her day, she still wants Mommy to tuck her in, to snuggle with her for "just a few more minutes," to kiss her boo boos, and scare away the dark. I guess she's not so grown up yet afterall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too late for bricks on their head?