Friday, December 08, 2006

Feeling groovy

Another week has just flown by. It's definitely been an eventful one starting Sunday afternoon when William began to complain about "leg" pain. By the time he was ready to change for bed, he was crying from the pain inflicted by bending his right leg to get his pants off. In pointing out where exactly he was hurting, I realized it was in his hip. I thought maybe he just sat on it funny, or over-extended it bowling that day and that it would be better by morning. WRONG!!

Monday morning I get a call at work as he is getting ready for school. "William can't walk!" WHAT?!?!?! Off to the doctor we go. After x-rays (all clear) and examination (though he didn't really let her do anything), the possible diagnosis: Toxic Synovitis. Wow, sounds a lot worse than it is. Apparently, in some kids, especially boys between the ages of 4 and 10, there can be a build up of body toxins in their hips after they get a cold (he had a mild one the week before). It causes the area around the joint to become inflammed. Most don't get to the "not walking" stage, but since William never complains, I figure he was probably hurting with it long before he mentioned it to anyone, thus delaying treatment. Treatment, by the way, consists of nothing more than rest and Motrin. So, William got two days off from school during an already super-short month. On Tuesday night as he was rolling over to fall asleep, he said "Thank you, leg." He explained he thanked his leg for letting him have 2 days off from school (and being spoiled by his parents). He always finds a way to make me laugh.

Wednesday, I was off to Dayton for my dad's retirement ceremony. I haven't seen that many people in military uniforms in one room, up close and in person, since I was a little girl. It was a really nice ceremony! Whoever did all the planning must have felt like they were planning a wedding. His wife, sister, and all of his daughters (me included) were escorted to their seats by military personnel in dress uniform. The colonel said some really nice things about my dad, he was presented with TONS of official letters from people such as the governor of Ohio, the Judge Advocate General, and the President of the United State, and plaques, and a flag that was flown over the Capitol, and then he was able to say a few words himself. I actually learned a lot about my Dad on Wednesday that I had never known before, so I was glad that I could be there.

While I was there, Evie got to stay home from school and spend the day with her dad and her best friend/cousin Tristan. Micheal watched the girls so that Amy could come to Dad's retirement as well. They had a great day together and Micheal didn't seem too beat up and frazzled by the whole experience.

This weekend, including today, will most likely be filled with Christmas shopping, and wrapping, and baking. William is usually a total home-body, but even he is excited about going to pick out Christmas presents for his dad and Ethan (his cousin/my nephew). Evie is ALWAYS ready to shop. She is ALL girl! Saturday I will take Evie to a dance class to make up for the one that she missed on Monday (when William couldn't walk), and I will have a nice dinner out with my sisters at the Melting Pot (YUM!). I will probably take the kids bowling again on Sunday afternoon. They LOVE to bowl, and they have a GREAT deal on Sundays. Can't find another activity on a freezing cold day that beats the price. Somewhere in the midst of it all, we might even throw in some haircuts, and possibly even some Christmas pictures (though I *dread* trying to find them nice outfits that actually match!).

No comments: