Thursday, January 17, 2008

William the Informant

William has never been a discipline problem. With rare exceptions that can be explained away, he general does what he is asked, doesn't usually test boundaries, and is a strict rule-follower. Rare in a 7-year-old. Aside from the obvious advantage of rarely needing to reprimand him, there are others...

Everyone in a vehicle with him wears their seatbelt and does it correctly...or we're not allowed to move. Much to his sisters dismay, he has the house rules memorized and eagerly points out when she has broken them, especially if she is trying to be sneaky about it. He doesn't lie. I don't receive phone calls from the school about his behavior. He goes to bed without protest. I could go on and on.

But I've found the drawback, especially if you let him ride in the front seat of the car while you're driving.

He will point out, repeatedly, what the speed limit is, and that you either are or are not following it. If the sign says 35 MPH, you'd better be going 35. Exactly.

I think he has a future as a law enforcement officer. I just hope he'll break the rules a little and let his mom out of the speeding ticket.

2 comments:

M. Christopher said...

William the Enforcer - you're right, sounds like he does have a future in law enforcement! I love that he won't let you move the car without everyone wearing their seatbelts. Safety first!!!

Anonymous said...

Or when he grabs the wheel at a red light and explains in disgust how you should always drive with both hands.