One of the many things that I have always loved about my relationship with William is that he didn't have that "not in front of my friends" mentality when it came to public displays of affection from his mom. His friends, relatives, and classmates all have it. But not my son. Lucky me!! He will hold my hand, give me bear hugs, and sweet kisses no matter where we are or who is around.
Yesterday, I had the rare opportunity to accompany the kids to school in the morning (Evie had a program for parents). I was thrilled that William, despite being a big third grader, would still let me hold his hand as we walked into the building. He also asked me to walk him to his classroom. But then it started happening...when we reached the hallway intersection where we would make our final turn and then head to his room, he did the unthinkable...he dropped my hand! And when we reached the doorway of his classroom, he looked at me with his big eyes and said, "I can go in by myself, Mom" with a look of "dear Lord don't let my mom kiss me here" on his face. *sigh* I guess he gotten there. To that place where he is just "too big" for me to play mom in front of his friends. To that place where image matters, being "cool" matters, being a "man" matters. I never thought this day would come. I hoped and prayed this day wouldn't come. But it did, and somehow, today, he's not just a little kid anymore...
*SIGH*

2 comments:
Oh, I worry about that day coming. Even now, Mariah gets a look before she gives me a kiss goodbye at school, the look that says "Hang on, I'm thinking about this and if I'll still look cool"
awwwwww hugs to you!! I worry about that too! Don't worry, he will always be your sweet william!!
Post a Comment