Monday, October 23, 2006

Little Einstein

Thursday was our parent-teacher conference for William. First, let me start by saying that I absolutely LOVE his teacher. I could actually see she and I being friends outside of the classroom. We have a similar sense-of-humor and just get along really well. She also goes above and beyond to make sure her students have everything they need to achieve their absolute best. I talk to her frequently, so a PT probably wasn't even necessary, but it was good to have a "formal" meeting.

As we already knew, my sweet boy is SO smart. He is one of the highest achievers in his class--already performing above the goals set for 1st grade for this first 9 weeks. He is soaking up everything around him like a sponge and loving every minute of it. He is well-behaved, takes on his role as the line "caboose" like a champ (ask if you aren't sure :), and is making a lot of friends with his big loving heart. Writer's Workshop is probably his most crowning achievement and biggest frustration at the same time. He writes very well for his age, and tells great stories, but by the time it is over, he is exhausted! He wants to much to be absolutely perfect (spelling just right, punctuation in place, thoughts transferred to paper exactly) that he is just worn out when he's done. So, he puts his head down for a few minutes, and then is ready to go onto word study! He continues to improve his reading by leaps and bounds, quickly losing the choppy reading style of his Kindergarten days and flowing through those sentences like a champ. Math is one of his favorites. This kid could do graphs, and tally marks, and addition all day long! I'm with him for now, but I have a feeling he'll lose me on that by about 5th grade. :) And of course, anyone that knows him, knows that science is TOP NOTCH with William. He LOVES to learn about animals, and how things work, and what makes weather patterns happen, etc. It sure made him smile to hear such nice things about the work he is doing, and it made me smile too.

No comments: