Okay, before I get into the real nitty-gritty ( do people still say that?) of this post, let me give a little background...
William has been gaining weight lately, despite being a relatively healthy, though picky, eater. He still looks good, not too round, but its noticible to me when his shirt is off. He takes in his share of carbs, since bread is his all time favorite food group, but I wouldn't say he eats too much of anything over the course of a day or week. I've taken note of the weight gain, and have even come to the side of complete concern over it...weighing (no pun intended) whether or not I should call his pediatrician now, or just wait until his check-up in July.
So now to the real post...
William and Evie are on spring break and had to come to work with my yesterday. They've been here several times before and know everyone here. So this morning, one of my office-mates commented on how he couldn't believe how big William is getting. I said I know, that's what everyone says when he sees him these days. He is growing like a weed and we are having trouble keeping the boy in pants that fit. Well, this guy looks me dead in the face and says, "No, I mean he's getting really thick." What?!?!?! Did he just have the nerve to tell me that my kid is fat? WTH?
Granted, since I know he's put on the weight, enough that I'm concerned, I probably shouldn't have been so taken back, but really? Who are you to tell me my kid is THICK? Am I just taking this too hard?
And do you think I should call the pediatrician about it now, or just wait a few months? What would YOU do?

3 comments:
No, I would have thought WTH? as well. Maybe he didn't realize he was being insensitive. That is an odd thing to say to a mother!
I think Michael is pretty thin, but his pediatrician just told me his BMI is in the 93rd percentile. However, when his shirt is off, you can see his ribcage. It makes no sense. Even his size 3s are too big in the waist.
Isn't it crazy what is considered overweight these days?? I always say, I'd rather be fat and friendly than a skinny bi***! :)
First of all, the "thick" comment was uncalled for!!! You don't say something like that! AND, yes, you are being sensitive about it as you should, he's your kid!! Finally, as long as William is happy and healthy...and you don't see any other questionable signs, I would wait until the scheduled appointment in July. You may also want to mention it to the OT to see if they have any input. But you're the mom (and I'm not), so do what you feel YOU should do!
Post a Comment