Friday, March 21, 2008

Nina

Do you remember where you were 10 years ago today? About this time of day, 10 years ago, I was visiting my grandmother in the ICU of the hospital, dressed completely in my wedding gown and veil. And while that probably shouldn't be what's on my mind today, for some reason it is. She wanted so badly to be there, and I assured her that we would come to see her that day. Still, she was doubtful, especially given the cold, snowy conditions that day. I still remember her face when we walked in. And how she kept saying how glad she was that we would come, and without changing first. Since we lived so far away (Tennessee), it would be one of the last times I saw her. Almost exactly one year later, she passed away.

Since that time, I have moved about a gazillion times (actually, only 9, but who's counting?). She would have loved having us back in Ohio and living close to her. My grandmother was a born worrier, and it always unnerved her that we lived so far away. If ever there was a storm within a 100 mile radius, you can bet the phone would ring, no matter what time of day or night, just so she could know we were safe. I remember the first time there was a big storm after she died...I was struck by how sad it made me.

I've had 2 beautiful children that she never got the pleasure of meeting. She would have adored William for his sweet, mild nature, and reveled in Evie's fiesty-ness and independence. She would have remarked, every time we saw her, about how much William looks just like his dad, but has my personality, and how Evie is a born superstar, so full of life. She wouldn't have missed a single performance or game if she could help it. She would be their biggest fan.

She would be overjoyed that my dad and step-mom are trying so hard to repair their relationship with my siblings and I after 30 years of almost constant turmoil. She would have loved knowing that almost every holiday would mean having both of her children, all of her grandchildren, and tons of great-grandbabies to surround her. We meant the world to her.

And she would have written the most beautiful anniversary card for us today. About how much the past 10 years have meant to her too. Her cards were never just "love, Grandma." They were poetry...straight from her heart and full of love.

And I miss her.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That first storm definately felt wrong. I'm sorry the kids didn't get to met her too.

Ronda said...

This should have come with a warning - I didn't have time to get the tissues! I can relate some...and share your sadness. Thank goodness for memories! Happy Anniversary, by the way!

M. Christopher said...

It sounds like there's a lot of your Grandmother in you, Cyndee. Full of love.

C said...

Thanks a bunch. I just don't even know what else to say.

Anonymous said...

i miss her so much some days...knowing as you do, how much she would have enjoyed holidays like yesterday and yet knowing that she is there. i can feel her and see her smile, hear her sweet voice commenting on how big the kids have gotten and reveling in all their accomplishments. and you are right...her notes were pure poetry and i treasure them. what a legacy of love she has left behind in us all. (i'm glad you're in ohio too!!!! but i bet you already knew that--love you my sis!!!)